Monday, January 7, 2013

Parting is such sweet sorrow

[Edit 1/7/2013: this post was left in drafts unbeknownst to me. AKA I just forgot to publish it, it was written 12/19/2012.]

Today was my last day on campus at Owens Community College. I finished finals last week, classes the week before. I'm happy to report that I finished the program with a 4.0. Woo!

I also finished my job as an Owens Civic Ambassador. I didn't start as an Ambassador, the job had a different title back then. However, I think the title of Civic Ambassador fits the job description a lot better. I worked as a mentor and tutor for students in developmental education classes. In addition to that I was introduced to the concept of service learning and had the opportunity to volunteer at both the Family House and the Toledo Seagate Foodbank. Both are great organizations in Toledo that constantly need help. Did you know that one volunteer hour is worth about $21 to the community? I didn't. If you only put in two hours a week for the year you are giving time that is worth $1,092! I'll put links at the bottom for Family House and The Foodbank.

I really encourage you to look up these organizations and see if you can help them in some way.

In other news, it's the holidays and that means holiday baking! My boyfriend and I attempted caramels over the weekend. One batch turned out too soft, the other too hard. One didn't fit the pan we put it in, the other actually did fit (but it's the hard batch). All will get covered in chocolate, both taste too good to toss.

I also have been decorating and I made Cranberry Orange Cornmeal cookies. So tasty. Everyone approves. But my personal favorite are Peanut Blossoms. Our secret? Really good quality peanut butter, it makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment